The Skagit Valley Tulip Festival is a big deal in Skagit County – our new home. So what could be more fitting than to have our Grand Opening during the Tulip Festival?! Mark your calendars and join us for the start of our exciting new adventure!
We have spent the last few months settling into our new facilities at Skagit Regional Airport, and while there is still more to do and the dust is still settling, we plan to hold their grand opening on Saturday, 26 April from 12-4pm. In addition to flying and static displays of HFM aircraft, other privately owned warbirds will be flying in to join the festivities – including an aircraft from Concrete’s North Cascades Vintage Aviation Museum.
- The day’s events will kick off with a 12:00pm fly over and ribbon cutting, organized by the Burlington Chamber of Commerce, with Burlington Mayor Steve Sexton, Port Commission president Kevin Ware and Mount Vernon Mayor Jill Boudreau.
- The Skagit Swing Band will play immediately following and throughout the day.
- Radio station KAFE 104.1 FM will be on site and broadcasting from 12-3pm (sponsored by a grant from Skagit County! VisitSkagitValley.com)
- Java Jo’s On The Go & Kitty Hawk Cafe will have all food and drink needs covered
- Flights will be conducted hourly, weather permitting.
- Cascade Warbirds members bringing additional vintage aircraft: L-4, Navion (2), CJ, FW 149, IAR & Bird Dog
- North Cascades Vintage Aviation Museum bringing an aircraft and information
- Historic Flight Foundation P-51 Mustang visiting
- Canadian Museum of Flight representatives with a Harvard & CJ
- Author and veteran pilot Larry Partridge will be on site signing copies of his book ‘Flying Tigers Over Cambodia’
- The local Experimental Aircraft Association chapter will have information on their Young Eagles program
- Skagit Civil Air Patrol will have information on youth volunteering and aerospace education opportunities
- Cascade Aviation flight school will have information on pilot training at Skagit Regional Airport
- Sedro Woolley Community Troop Support information table
- San Juan Airlines will be offering sight-seeing tulip flights
New Location: 15053 Crosswind Dr, Burlington, WA 98233 [Click here for Google Map]
Admission: ‘by donation’ for our grand opening. We suggest $8/adult and $5/child over 5 years. We will be able to accept cash, checks, Master Card and Visa.
Flying In & Parking: With tulip flights and our flight operations for the day, get on the radio (CTAF/UNICOM – 123.075) and get on it early! Transient parking is available on the main ramp adjacent to 29-11, and there are a few spots near the intersection of 29-11 and 04-22. There will be no room for transient parking on the HFM ramp.
Driving In & Parking: We hear that the traffic can be a little challenging at weekends during the tulip festival. Most of the fields are located south of Hwy 20, so hopefully traffic will be concentrated there. The airport can be accessed from the north, using Exit 231 if it looks like you’ll need to avoid tulip traffic. We have a lot of street parking. Please use parking stalls, do not park on the grass verges and DO NOT BLOCK FIRE HYDRANTS.
Pets: Please leave your pets at home or in a well ventilated, shaded car. Service animals allowed.
ADA access: Those unable to navigate a shallow flight of stairs will be escorted through the security gate. Please let us know if you require an escort.
**Update** Due to unforeseen issues with the occupancy permits, we will be unable to be open on a regular basis until further notice. We are working closely with the Fire Marshal and County officials to mitigate and correct the issues but that will take more time than expected. We have a special event permit for the Grand Opening and appreciate the support in getting that.